Winter rugs are always comforting and help us to feel our house cozy and our floor warmer while the chiller months are here. But they are notoriously known to house a lot of dirt, dust and allergen particles. Dirty rugs can slowly impact a home’s indoor air quality. Regular rug cleaning during colder months should be on every homeowner’s winter task list.
When it comes to getting floor rugs cleaned, one of the most common concerns of homeowners is “how can I clean an indoor rug properly?”. Fortunately, today we will share 8 golden rules that can help us to extend the life of our winter rugs and keep them in excellent condition. But first, we will debunk the myths that prevent many homeowners from having proper rug cleaning.
Debunking Rug Cleaning Myths
- Most Canadian homeowners think that the rug will not dry due to cold weather. This is not true, during the winter months the air is very dry, and the furnace is constantly pumping out warm air which stays that way due to the closed exterior doors and windows, which means faster drying time than in summer.
- Another big misconception is that it’s not worth cleaning our rugs in the winter if dirt from shoes and snow will make them dirty again. Doing a winter clean will ensure that we keep dirt and salt residue to a manageable level. During these months our rugs will get dirtier and the longer grime, like the snow salt, sits on the rugs, the harder it is to be removed.
Various professional rug cleaners on HomeStars advise, “Thanks to the fans that we use and the fact that in winter there is less humidity, winter is the perfect season to clean and dry our indoor rugs”.
The 8 Golden Rules To Keep Your Rugs Clean
- Thou shall shovel your sidewalks and porch to avoid bringing outside dirt on your carpets
- Thou shall vacuum and shake the rugs, at least weekly! Don’t be afraid to give it an old-fashioned beating!!
- Thou must beware of the fireplace and heating. Make sure you clean the chimney once a week and change the heating filter every month
- Thou shalt adopt a “No Shoes Indoors” policy at home
- Thou shall use floor mats to trap as much snow and dirt as possible. Most of them are machine washable, so no excuses for not keeping them clean
- Thou shall invest in a boot tray
- Thou will rotate your rug once every 6 months
- Thou shalt NOT Try To Bypass Professional Cleaning.
Any rug at your place is an investment, and requires regular maintenance, especially durable warm wool rugs which are the ideal flooring covering since they act as insulators, are waterproof and repel dust. By following these 8 golden rules to maintain your winter rugs, not only will they always be perfect and beautiful, but they will last for many more years and you will save money!
If you want your wool rug or any carpet at home to always have a desirable appearance, you can easily hire a local rug cleaner from HomeStars to get your rug cleaned at least twice a year.